- Alopecia Areata where the body’s immune system attacks the hair follicle making it weak causing the hair to fall out
- Androgenetic Alopecia where the hair just thins and falls out. It’s genetic.
For men , it’s called male pattern hair loss and for females it’s called female diffuse hair loss. There are various causes as to why alopecia happens and these are:
- medical disorder
- medications like chemotherapy
- poor nutrition
- autoimmune disorder such is the case for alopecia areata
A doctor can determine if you suffer from alopecia areata and this is done through a laboratory test and by taking your medical history.
There are different treatments available for alopecia but it usually depends on the type of alopecia. If it’s caused by poor nutrition, illness or certain medications, then hair will just go back. But if it’s genetic or caused by autoimmune disorder, then surgery like hair transplant can be considered. But before considering surgery, drug therapy will help reduce hair loss.
Minoxidil can directly act on the hair follicles. It is clinically proven to promote hair fiber development. It was originally used for treating hypertension until it was later discovered to promote hair growth. There’s really no explanation as to how it affects hair growth but it is believed that minoxid is a potassium channel opener that seems to increase hair growth.
Effects of Minoxidil :
- It prolongs the growth of keratin which increases the hair.
- It promotes hair fiber development
Clinical trials prove that minoxidil has a success rate of 45% among its users. Hair re-growth will be seen within 12 weeks but it is best to continuously use the treatment to get optimum results.
Minoxidil is available via these products:
Other Hair References: